Robotic process automation (RPA) sounds like an automatic manufacturing process, but RPA has nothing to do with robots at all. In layman’s terms, RPA is the process where a software bot uses a combination of automation, computer vision, and machine learning to automate repetitive, high-volume rule-based tasks.
People input the rules that they want the software to follow, and the software carries out the tasks automatically and efficiently, while eliminating human error (unless the individual input the incorrect rule). Examples of these tasks include copy-paste tasks and file placement from one location to another.
How Does RPA Work?
Any process that requires people to do a high volume of repetitive work with data that requires a logical outcome can be handled by RPA. There are certain criteria that determine whether RPA can assist. Typically, these criteria are as follows:
- The process must be rule-based.
- The process must be repeated at regular intervals or have a pre-defined trigger.
- The process must have defined inputs and outputs.
- The task should have sufficient volume.
What Can RPA Do?
There are many industries that rely on repetitive processes daily in order to function efficiently and remain organised. RPA can be used in industries such as:
- Customer service: Improve customer service by automating contact centre tasks, for example; verifying emails, adding to databases, uploading scanned documents, and verifying information for automatic approvals or rejections.
- Accounting: Use RPA for general accounting tasks, operational accounting, transactional reporting and budgeting.
- Healthcare: handle and update patient records, claims, customer support, accounts, billing, reporting and analytics.
- Human resources: automate HR tasks, for example; including onboarding and offboarding, updating employee information and timesheet submission processes.
- Supply chain management: RPA can assist with procurement, automating order processing and payments, monitoring inventory levels and tracking shipments.
Robotic process automation or RPA is a software/technology which mimics human action to perform a sequence of steps without human intervention. B2IT supplies business intelligence software that can help optimise and organise processes. For more information on UiPath and other offerings, contact our experts.